- Judith Bougie: The Woman...
- Spring in the City of La...
- Claudia Marques: On and ...
- ANNUAL TEACHER APPRECIATION CONTEST
- APPUI LAVAL
- ARTS & CULTURE
- CENTENNIAL ACADEMY
- CHARITY FUNDRAISING
- COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS
- COVER STORY
- DINA DIMITRATOS
- EMPLOYMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- FÊTE DE LA FAMILLE
- FÊTE DU QUARTIER SAINT-BRUNO
- FESTIVAL LAVAL LAUGHS
- FÊTE DE QUARTIER VAL-DES-BRISES
- HEALTH & WELL-BEING
- 30 MINUTE HIT
- CHILDREN`S HEALTH & WELLNESS
- CLOSE AID
- DENTAL WELLNESS
- EXTREME EVOLUTION SPORTS CENTRE
- FONDATION CITÉ DE LA SANTÉ
- HEARING HEALTH
- MESSAGES FROM THE HEALTH AGENCY OF CANADA
- MENTAL HEALTH
- SOCIAL INTEGRATION
- SPECIAL NEEDS
- THE NUTRITION CORNER
- THE NUTRITION CORNER - RECIPES
- VACATION DESTINATION
- WOMEN'S FITNESS
- WOMEN'S HEALTH
- HILTON MONTREAL/LAVAL
- HOME & GARDEN
- INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY
- JAGUAR LAVAL
- LAVAL À VÉLO
- LAVAL FAMILIES TV SHOW
- LAVAL FAMILIES MAGAZINE CARES
- LAVAL URBAN IN NATURE
- LE PARCOURS DES HÉROS
- LES PETITS GOURMETS DANS MA COUR
- LEON'S FURNITURE
- LEONARDO DA VINCI CENTRE
- LFM PREMIERES
- LIFE BALANCE
- MISS EDGAR'S AND MISS CRAMP'S SCHOOL
- MISSING CHILDREN'S NETWORK
- NORTH STAR ACADEMY LAVAL
- PASSION SOCCER
- PARC DE LA RIVIÈRE-DES-MILLE-ÎLES
- PÂTISSERIE ST-MARTIN
- PIZZERIA LÌOLÀ
- PLACE BELL
- PORTRAITS OF YOUR MNA'S
- ROCKET DE LAVAL
- SACRED HEART SCHOOL
- SHERATON LAVAL HOTEL
- STATION 55
- SUBARU DE LAVAL
- TODAY`S LAURENTIANS AND LANAUDIÈRE
- TODAY`S LAVAL
- WARNER MUSIC
- THIS ISSUE
- MOST RECENT
Summer Camp Safety: Your Guide to a Safe and Fun Summer Break
lazy days of summer will soon be upon us and that calls for pool parties, barbeques and for many Laval children, summer camp. Summer
camp is a great opportunity for children to become more independent and make
new friends while creating lasting memories and having loads of fun.
For some children, preparing for camp can be worrisome. They may be nervous about what the days will bring. As parents, you want to reassure them and give them good advice to help them brave those days.
Pina Arcamone, Director General of the Missing Children’s Network, agrees the number one concern of all parents is safety. Arcamone has a few safety tips for preparing children (and parents) for summer camp.
To ensure a safe summer, Arcamone recommends parents reinforce the following safety rules with their children:
1) Ensure your child knows their full name, address and telephone number. Should your child get lost or need to reach you in an emergency, he or she will need this personal information easily accessible at all times.
2) Avoid identifying items with your child’s name clearly visible. A child will respond more readily to a stranger if he is addressed by name. Tale care to place identification labels on the inside of backpacks and lunchboxes instead.
3) Your child should always ask for permission from their counsellors and monitors before going anywhere. You must always know where your child is and keep them informed of your whereabouts as well.
4) Remember, there is safety in numbers. A child that is accompanied by a friend is less likely to be accosted by an individual with questionable intentions. Check out your child’s friends and get to know their parents and other adults who spend time with your child at camp all day.
5) Make sure your child understands he does not have to engage in conversations with strange adults who approach him. Remind your child to always keep a safe distance of at least three giant steps between themselves and a stranger.
6) Teach your child to always stay on the designated route when walking to and from camp and identify safe havens along the route where they can seek refuge if they need help. This can include a police station, a grocery store, or anywhere they can safely call home for help.
Reminding your child of these simple tips and keeping an open dialogue with your children, is the best way to keep them safe at summer camp and all year round. For more safety tips from the Missing Children’s Network, visit their website www.missingchildrensnetwork.ngo
CONTESTS Enter our contests
COMMUNITY Posts Events
PUBLICATIONS Our Magazine Family Resource Directory
LFM BUSINESS NETWORK Learn more
COUPONS Click to save!
E-NEWSLETTER Subscribe to our E-newsletter Un-Subscribe
WRITE FOR US Guidelines & Submissions
POLLS Vote today!
SUGGESTIONS Reader's Survey Suggest a Listing
LFM About Us Our Mission Giving Back Contact Us