- Summer in the City
- Derick Fage: Turning Cha...
- Sneaky Ways to Get Your ...
- ANNUAL TEACHER APPRECIATION CONTEST
- ARTS & CULTURE
- COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS
- COVER STORY
- EMPLOYMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- F╩TE DE LA FAMILLE
- F╩TE DU QUARTIER SAINT-BRUNO
- FESTIVAL LAVAL LAUGHS
- HEALTH & WELL-BEING
- CHILDREN`S HEALTH & WELLNESS
- CLOSE AID
- DENTAL WELLNESS
- EXTREME EVOLUTION SPORTS CENTRE
- FONDATION CIT╔ DE LA SANT╔
- HEARING HEALTH
- MESSAGES FROM THE HEALTH AGENCY OF CANADA
- MENTAL HEALTH
- SPECIAL NEEDS
- THE NUTRITION CORNER
- THE NUTRITION CORNER - RECIPES
- VACATION DESTINATION
- WOMEN'S FITNESS
- WOMEN'S HEALTH
- HILTON MONTREAL/LAVAL
- HOME & GARDEN
- JAGUAR LAVAL
- LAVAL FAMILIES TV SHOW
- LAVAL FAMILIES MAGAZINE CARES
- LAVAL URBAN IN NATURE
- LE PARCOURS DES H╔ROS
- LES PETITS GOURMETS DANS MA COUR
- LFM PREMIERES
- LIFE BALANCE
- MISS EDGAR'S AND MISS CRAMP'S SCHOOL
- PARC DE LA RIVI╚RE-DES-MILLE-╬LES
- P┬TISSERIE ST-MARTIN
- PLACE BELL
- PORTRAITS OF YOUR MNA'S
- ROCKET DE LAVAL
- SHERATON LAVAL HOTEL
- SUBARU DE LAVAL
- TODAY`S LAURENTIANS AND LANAUDI╚RE
- TODAY`S LAVAL
- WARNER MUSIC
- THIS ISSUE
- MOST RECENT
Pain-Free DentistryŚComing to Our Dental Clinic!
#1 fear of patients: Itĺs being frozen! Patients fear the injection and the stinging sensation.
#1 fun fact:
Pain will soon be a thing of the past!
Strangely enough, pain from the injection has more to do with the local anaesthetic being injected than the needle itself. Currently, dental local anaesthetic has a pH level of about 3.9 (similar to the acidity level found in lemons and limes).
In reality, the pain and stress caused by the delivery of the anaesthetic solutions into the skin is largely attributed to this acidity:
- The acidity causes tissue irritation (a burning sensation) when injected into the bodyĺs more alkaline milieu.
- Anaesthesia is less active when acidic which means it takes longer to take effect. Itĺs stressful waiting for the targeted area to numb.
Buffering means adding sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to an acidic solution in order to match the bodyĺs pH level. Effectively, by adding sodium bicarbonate to lidocaine (the dental anaesthesia), the pH of the anaesthetic will now match the bodyĺs pH which will allow it to easily cross the nerve membrane with no burning sensation and a much faster numbing.
Buffering local anaesthetics is a process that has been utilized by the medical community for quite some time. In dentistry, Anutra Medical is currently offering the buffered anaesthesia in the United States and is currently working with the FDA in Canada to gain approval.
Clinique Dentaire Kavanagh et Ormond will be one of the first dental clinics in Canada to offer buffered injections. Imagine pain-free*, faster and deeper anaesthesia for all patients ―even for hard to numb patients!
*As pain threshold is subjective, most patients will experience a pain-free injection and patients with a low pain threshold can expect reduced pain.
Remember: Confidence starts with a smile!
For additional information on Anutra, please visit:
CONTESTS Enter our contests
COMMUNITY Posts Events
PUBLICATIONS Our Magazine Family Resource Directory
LFM BUSINESS NETWORK Learn more
COUPONS Click to save!
E-NEWSLETTER Subscribe to our E-newsletter Un-Subscribe
WRITE FOR US Guidelines & Submissions
POLLS Vote today!
SUGGESTIONS Reader's Survey Suggest a Listing
LFM About Us Our Mission Giving Back Contact Us