- Laugh, Cheer & Celebrate...
- It Starts with a Laugh…a...
- 30 Minute Hit is a Hit i...
- ANNUAL TEACHER APPRECIATION CONTEST
- ARTS & CULTURE
- CHARITY FUNDRAISING
- COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS
- COVER STORY
- DINA DIMITRATOS
- EMPLOYMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- FÊTE DE LA FAMILLE
- FÊTE DU QUARTIER SAINT-BRUNO
- FESTIVAL LAVAL LAUGHS
- FÊTE DE QUARTIER VAL-DES-BRISES
- HEALTH & WELL-BEING
- 30 MINUTE HIT
- CHILDREN`S HEALTH & WELLNESS
- CLOSE AID
- DENTAL WELLNESS
- EXTREME EVOLUTION SPORTS CENTRE
- FONDATION CITÉ DE LA SANTÉ
- HEARING HEALTH
- MESSAGES FROM THE HEALTH AGENCY OF CANADA
- MENTAL HEALTH
- SOCIAL INTEGRATION
- SPECIAL NEEDS
- THE NUTRITION CORNER
- THE NUTRITION CORNER - RECIPES
- VACATION DESTINATION
- WOMEN'S FITNESS
- WOMEN'S HEALTH
- HILTON MONTREAL/LAVAL
- HOME & GARDEN
- JAGUAR LAVAL
- LAVAL À VÉLO
- LAVAL FAMILIES TV SHOW
- LAVAL FAMILIES MAGAZINE CARES
- LAVAL URBAN IN NATURE
- LE PARCOURS DES HÉROS
- LES PETITS GOURMETS DANS MA COUR
- LEON'S FURNITURE
- LEONARDO DA VINCI CENTRE
- LFM PREMIERES
- LIFE BALANCE
- MISS EDGAR'S AND MISS CRAMP'S SCHOOL
- PARC DE LA RIVIÈRE-DES-MILLE-ÎLES
- PÂTISSERIE ST-MARTIN
- PIZZERIA LÌOLÀ
- PLACE BELL
- PORTRAITS OF YOUR MNA'S
- ROCKET DE LAVAL
- SHERATON LAVAL HOTEL
- SUBARU DE LAVAL
- TODAY`S LAURENTIANS AND LANAUDIÈRE
- TODAY`S LAVAL
- WARNER MUSIC
- THIS ISSUE
- MOST RECENT
Teaching Children Responsibility and the Value of Money
While a vast majority of parents assign chores to
their kids, a new survey reveals that only half dole out allowances for
However, according to an AOL Daily Finance report, a new survey called Chores & Allowance and the 21st Century Kid reveals that just 21% of paying parents connect the payouts with chores.
Other results of the survey conducted by DoughMain.com include:
- 47% of respondents feel that allowances help children learn to manage money.
- 26% provide non-monetary rewards such as television or computer time, to compensate their kids for completed chores.
- Some parents object to associating chores and allowance, hoping their kids will learn that some things are done out of a sense of responsibility.
For those debating the route to take when it comes to kids, chores and allowances, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Start early: As early as age 6, kids can handle small allowances, so try to determine an amount that sensibly addresses their expenses.
- Encourage money management: Allowances can help kids save for specific goals, earmarking portions for charitable donations, entertainment, clothing, etc.
- Combine chores and allowances with money discussions: Talk about how you manage the household budget, providing your kids with valuable insights about the cost of groceries, utilities, services, and so forth.
- Teach responsibility: Financially unrewarded chores can help teach kids responsibility.
CONTESTS Enter our contests
COMMUNITY Posts Events
PUBLICATIONS Our Magazine Family Resource Directory
LFM BUSINESS NETWORK Learn more
COUPONS Click to save!
E-NEWSLETTER Subscribe to our E-newsletter Un-Subscribe
WRITE FOR US Guidelines & Submissions
POLLS Vote today!
SUGGESTIONS Reader's Survey Suggest a Listing
LFM About Us Our Mission Giving Back Contact Us