- Interview with Bruny Sur...
- ARTS & CULTURE
- COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS
- COVER STORY
- EMPLOYMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- HEALTH & WELL-BEING
- CHILDREN`S HEALTH & WELLNESS
- CLOSE AID
- DENTAL WELLNESS
- EXTREME EVOLUTION SPORTS CENTRE
- FONDATION CITÉ DE LA SANTÉ
- HEARING HEALTH
- MESSAGES FROM THE HEALTH AGENCY OF CANADA
- MENTAL HEALTH
- SPECIAL NEEDS
- THE NUTRITION CORNER
- THE NUTRITION CORNER - RECIPES
- VACATION DESTINATION
- WOMEN'S FITNESS
- WOMEN'S HEALTH
- HILTON MONTREAL/LAVAL
- HOME & GARDEN
- LAVAL FAMILIES TV SHOW
- LAVAL FAMILIES MAGAZINE CARES
- LAVAL URBAN IN NATURE
- LFM PREMIERES
- LIFE BALANCE
- MISS EDGAR'S AND MISS CRAMP'S SCHOOL
- PÂTISSERIE ST-MARTIN
- PLACE BELL
- ROCKET DE LAVAL
- SHERATON LAVAL HOTEL
- SUBARU DE LAVAL
- TODAY`S LAURENTIANS AND LANAUDIÈRE
- TODAY`S LAVAL
- THIS ISSUE
- MOST RECENT
SLEEP APNEA - 200,000 Heart Attacks Can Be Prevented Every Year!
You can prevent yours
Did you know ?
• 80% of people with sleep apnea are undiagnosed and untreated.
• 60% of patients treated using CPAP abandon its use.
If your doctor told you that you suffered from a mild case of cancer....would you ignore it ?
Of course not ! Nor should you ignore a diagnosis of mild sleep apnea because it could lead to :
• high blood pressure
• heart disease
• cardiac arrhythmias- irregular heartbeats
• weight gain
• sexual dysfunction.
What are sleep apnea symptoms ?
• daytime sleepiness for no apparent reason
• memory loss/ poor concentration;
• restless or fitful sleep (restless leg syndrome)
• choking, breathing with difficulty, holding your breath while sleeping.
Obstructive sleep apnea ( OSA )
is a serious breathing problem that interrupts your sleep. This means you have short pauses in your breathing. These pauses, called apneas, last for 10-30 seconds minimum ! You can stop breathing dozens or hundreds of times per night !
These pauses in breathing can cause drastic changes in oxygen levels putting an enormous strain on the heart that can lead to an increase in the heart rate and risk for heart attacks.
Did you know ?
Sudden cardiac death in people with sleep apnea peaks between midnight and 6 a.m. ! This is unlike the general population where the risk of death sinks to its lowest point during sleeping hours.
Sleep apnea can take up to 10 years off your life! OSA prevents you from having a restful sleep that you need to stay healthy.
Consequently, you spend more time in light sleep and less time in deep, restorative sleep which you need to be energetic, mentally sharp and productive the next day.
How can we help you ?
1) You can schedule a sleep test with our clinic. We screen for sleep apnea with the Watch-Pat apparatus or MediByte device, each the size of a CD which you wear at night in the comfort of your own bed. The next day we print up your detailed sleep study report and give you an in-depth explanation.
2) We refer you to a sleep medecine specialist for a confirmed diagnosis.
Sleep apnea was previously treated solely with a CPAP device or surgery. CPAP is a mask-like machine that provides a constant stream of air which keeps your breathing passages open while you sleep.
Snoring isn’t sexy... but neither is a CPAP
Today, dentistry offers sleek and durable dental appliances that may provide the same results as the CPAP. MicrO2 sleep apnea dental appliance and Somnodent appliance offer a lingual-free design that is intended to offer patient maximum tongue space and comfort.
CONTESTS Enter our contests
COMMUNITY Posts Events
PUBLICATIONS Our Magazine Family Resource Directory
LFM BUSINESS NETWORK Learn more
COUPONS Click to save!
E-NEWSLETTER Subscribe to our E-newsletter Un-Subscribe
WRITE FOR US Guidelines & Submissions
POLLS Vote today!
SUGGESTIONS Reader's Survey Suggest a Listing
LFM About Us Our Mission Giving Back Contact Us