- Summer in the City
- Derick Fage: Turning Cha...
- Sneaky Ways to Get Your ...
- ANNUAL TEACHER APPRECIATION CONTEST
- ARTS & CULTURE
- COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS
- COVER STORY
- EMPLOYMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- FÊTE DE LA FAMILLE
- FÊTE DU QUARTIER SAINT-BRUNO
- FESTIVAL LAVAL LAUGHS
- HEALTH & WELL-BEING
- 30 MINUTE HIT
- CHILDREN`S HEALTH & WELLNESS
- CLOSE AID
- DENTAL WELLNESS
- EXTREME EVOLUTION SPORTS CENTRE
- FONDATION CITÉ DE LA SANTÉ
- HEARING HEALTH
- MESSAGES FROM THE HEALTH AGENCY OF CANADA
- MENTAL HEALTH
- SOCIAL INTEGRATION
- SPECIAL NEEDS
- THE NUTRITION CORNER
- THE NUTRITION CORNER - RECIPES
- VACATION DESTINATION
- WOMEN'S FITNESS
- WOMEN'S HEALTH
- HILTON MONTREAL/LAVAL
- HOME & GARDEN
- JAGUAR LAVAL
- LAVAL FAMILIES TV SHOW
- LAVAL FAMILIES MAGAZINE CARES
- LAVAL URBAN IN NATURE
- LE PARCOURS DES HÉROS
- LES PETITS GOURMETS DANS MA COUR
- LFM PREMIERES
- LIFE BALANCE
- MISS EDGAR'S AND MISS CRAMP'S SCHOOL
- PARC DE LA RIVIÈRE-DES-MILLE-ÎLES
- PÂTISSERIE ST-MARTIN
- PLACE BELL
- PORTRAITS OF YOUR MNA'S
- ROCKET DE LAVAL
- SHERATON LAVAL HOTEL
- SUBARU DE LAVAL
- TODAY`S LAURENTIANS AND LANAUDIÈRE
- TODAY`S LAVAL
- WARNER MUSIC
- THIS ISSUE
- MOST RECENT
ENGLISH LINK: Public Transportation in the Laurentians
Isolation in the Laurentians is a huge
concern and often, transportation is at the root of the problem. Our rural territory is so large that some
citizens must travel considerable distance just to get a liter of milk. Owning
a car simplifies the task, but what about people who don’t drive? What do they
do? How do they manage? I wondered about this population and started to
research the possibilities that are offered to them. I was pleasantly surprised
by my findings! We have an extensive
public transportation network available right here in the Laurentians.
Transport services are offered throughout the MRC des Pays-d’en-Haut and des Laurentides by TACL (Transport Adapté et collectif des Laurentides) and have been for the past 10 years. Their annual report indicates that since 2010, demands for inter-municipal services have increased by 11% and adapted services by 9%. A total of 119,300 inter-municipal trips and 43,055 adapted transport trips were completed in 2014. TACL continuously improves their services by adding new routes, offering more departure times, and creating new services.
Their services are divided into three categories:
Transport: 27 bus circuits are offered to the
general public with 14 complimentary taxi bus circuits. These routes run from
Rivière-Rouge all the way to Saint-Jerome. Circuits are coordinated with train
schedules to allow commuters to transfer in Saint-Jerome to the train and
continue on to more southern points. Mont-Tremblant has an added 4 circuits
that run daily. All weekend services are considerably reduced.
The complimentary taxi bus service functions like a bus on a regular schedule and allows more remote users access to the extensive inter-municipal bus routes. These services are offered during the week and by reservation only.
- Adapted Transport: 26 adapted transport circuits are offered to handicapped users weekly with an additional 4 circuits on weekends. Certain criteria apply to qualify for this service and reservations are required.
- Carpooling services: TACL in partnership with the MRC des Pays-d'en-Haut and the MRC des Laurentides encourage citizens to carpool using the reliable website affiliated with the Covoiturage.ca network. The aim is to facilitate mobility during daily or occasional trips throughout the Laurentians, even to Montreal, and complement the existing public transit services. This new service offers you the opportunity to register for free, as a driver or passenger, and to find a carpool partner whose route best suits yours. It is really simple. You enter your departure and desired destination information and potential matches will appear for your selection. The website even has a cost sharing calculator that breaks down how much each passenger must contribute towards the trip.
So to answer my own questions: People who don’t drive or own a car can adequately get around in the Laurentians by using public transportation.
email@example.com for the English Communities Committee of the CSSS des Sommets and 4 Korners Family Resource Center: 1-888-974-3940 or 819-324-4000 ext. 4330.
CONTESTS Enter our contests
COMMUNITY Posts Events
PUBLICATIONS Our Magazine Family Resource Directory
LFM BUSINESS NETWORK Learn more
COUPONS Click to save!
E-NEWSLETTER Subscribe to our E-newsletter Un-Subscribe
WRITE FOR US Guidelines & Submissions
POLLS Vote today!
SUGGESTIONS Reader's Survey Suggest a Listing
LFM About Us Our Mission Giving Back Contact Us