- Summer Fun for Everyone
- Personalized Care & Inno...
- Come One, Come All
- ARTS & CULTURE
- CHAMBRE DE COMMERCE ET D'INDUSTRIE DE LAVAL
- COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS
- EMPLOYMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- HEALTH & WELL-BEING
- HOME & GARDEN
- LAVAL FAMILIES TV SHOW
- LAVAL FAMILIES MAGAZINE CARES
- LAVAL URBAN IN NATURE
- LFM PREMIERES
- LIFE BALANCE
- TODAY`S LAURENTIANS AND LANAUDIÈRE
- TODAY`S LAVAL
- THIS ISSUE
- MOST RECENT
My child is often absentminded!
Is anyone there?” is a phrase that you sometimes have to repeat too
often. Here's how to help your absentminded children keep their concentration. For a long time, absentmindedness
has been associated with dreams, imagination and entertainment. Therefore,
being absentminded means being distracted, dreamy, contemplative and lost in
thoughts. It’s quite the opposite of having both feet on the
Absentminded children are just as intelligent as other kids. However, their tendency to get distracted can affect their learning capacities.They quickly lose interest. While their teacher tells them about rivers and oceans, they remain "connected" a few moments, and then their minds wander. They begin to wonder how bridges are built over rivers, or how many whales there are in the ocean. They are next to or in front of the subject, never far away! We must often help them to come back to reality. The same thing happens at home. When some people talk to each other, rather than join in on the conversation, they prefer to escape to their secret garden. They pick a word that draws their attention and go with it!
Characteristics of absentminded children
- Their gaze is often empty.
- We have to repeat things to them several times.
- They often forget what we told them or what they have to do.
- They are sometimes awkward.
- They are often late for class.
- They often go unnoticed and rarely disturb others.
- Prefer games that stimulate the child's concentration. Start with short games with simple rules and then increase the duration of the game ... and the concentration level required.
- Of course, you can wonder about the child’s sleep. When you're tired, you have more trouble staying focused and well your minds wander more easily.
- Go progressively with the instructions. Il you give too many all at once to an absentminded child, he will be confused and forget many of them. Combine two instructions or requests and see if he performs them correctly. Then gradually increase.
- You noticed that your child is absentminded? Bring him back in the « here and now » in a state of concentration on the present. "Do this, here. And I will help you. We'll do it together."
- Give him so tips to help him stay in the present moment when he himself feels like his mind is about to wander away. For example, when he’s in class and starts to be distracted, teach him to ask questions that will force him to stay connected: “What color is my teacher’s shirt?” This simple question can help him stay focused at any time with anyone.
Being distracted, it’s being imaginative! And it’s even the core of our inner life and our personal inner self. It’s a precious place where the child can reflect and learn to live with himself. You must help your child to tame this secret garden while helping him be in the present and interact with others.
To read more articles from Motherforlife website, please visit Motherforlife.com
CONTESTS Enter our contests
COMMUNITY Posts Events
PUBLICATIONS Our Magazine Family Resource Directory
LFM BUSINESS NETWORK Learn more
COUPONS Click to save!
E-NEWSLETTER Subscribe to our E-newsletter Un-Subscribe
WRITE FOR US Guidelines & Submissions
POLLS Vote today!
SUGGESTIONS Reader's Survey Suggest a Listing
LFM About Us Our Mission Giving Back Contact Us