- Summer in the City
- Derick Fage: Turning Cha...
- Sneaky Ways to Get Your ...
- ANNUAL TEACHER APPRECIATION CONTEST
- ARTS & CULTURE
- COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS
- COVER STORY
- EMPLOYMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- FÊTE DE LA FAMILLE
- FÊTE DU QUARTIER SAINT-BRUNO
- FESTIVAL LAVAL LAUGHS
- HEALTH & WELL-BEING
- CHILDREN`S HEALTH & WELLNESS
- CLOSE AID
- DENTAL WELLNESS
- EXTREME EVOLUTION SPORTS CENTRE
- FONDATION CITÉ DE LA SANTÉ
- HEARING HEALTH
- MESSAGES FROM THE HEALTH AGENCY OF CANADA
- MENTAL HEALTH
- SPECIAL NEEDS
- THE NUTRITION CORNER
- THE NUTRITION CORNER - RECIPES
- VACATION DESTINATION
- WOMEN'S FITNESS
- WOMEN'S HEALTH
- HILTON MONTREAL/LAVAL
- HOME & GARDEN
- JAGUAR LAVAL
- LAVAL FAMILIES TV SHOW
- LAVAL FAMILIES MAGAZINE CARES
- LAVAL URBAN IN NATURE
- LE PARCOURS DES HÉROS
- LES PETITS GOURMETS DANS MA COUR
- LFM PREMIERES
- LIFE BALANCE
- MISS EDGAR'S AND MISS CRAMP'S SCHOOL
- PARC DE LA RIVIÈRE-DES-MILLE-ÎLES
- PÂTISSERIE ST-MARTIN
- PLACE BELL
- PORTRAITS OF YOUR MNA'S
- ROCKET DE LAVAL
- SHERATON LAVAL HOTEL
- SUBARU DE LAVAL
- TODAY`S LAURENTIANS AND LANAUDIÈRE
- TODAY`S LAVAL
- WARNER MUSIC
- THIS ISSUE
- MOST RECENT
School Lunch Ideas Kids Will Love
School sandwich ideas
kids will love
Sandwiches are simple and fast lunchtime staples with limitless possibilities. While we all love a good PB&J and grilled cheese, eating the same sandwiches day after day can become mundane. Here are some tips to creating the most delicious sandwiches that kids will be excited to eat!
Choose the right bread
Get creative when choosing ingredients for sandwiches. Sometimes changing something as simple as the type of bread can make a huge difference! These days there are plenty of whole grain options out there from multigrain sandwich breads, bagels and croissants to mouth-watering flatbreads such as chapattis, pitas, naan and tortillas. Always keep three different kinds of breads in your freezer. This way, your kids won’t food jag on a particular type of bread and experience food burn out! Choose breads that have at least 2g of fiber per serving. Fiber is crucial for gut health and breads containing fiber provide long lasting energy compared to simple white breads.
Present the sandwiches in a fun way; presentation of food is as important for kids as it is for adults. Use cookie cutters to make fun shaped sandwiches. It’s much more fun to eat a star shaped sandwich than a regular square one!
Healthy and delicious ingredients to put inside
I always like to stuff leftover dinner meat in my sandwiches. Some of the meats that I find great are grilled chicken, ham, fish, meatloaf and meatballs. Left over meats and vegetables from a BBQ can also make great sandwiches! Fresh meats are a better alternative for sandwich filling than processed meats such as “cold cuts”. Some other great options for fillings are eggs, canned light tuna and tofu.
What to spread?
Spreads are great because they add moisture and flavor to sandwiches. Mayonnaise is quite popular but there are other more nutritious spreadable alternatives. Hummus, guacamole, ricotta cheese, tofu spread and tzatziki can easily replace mayonnaise in most sandwiches.
Stuff with fruit, veggies or both!
A great way to increase vegetable and fruit intake is to add them in sandwiches! Take a look at a few of my favorite combos:
- Naan with peanut butter, banana and a drizzle of honey
- Chicken, mangoes and avocadoes in a whole grain pita
- Turkey, apples and cheddar between whole grain bread
Open face brie and pears on a croissant
- Egg and celery in a spinach tortilla wrap
- Tuna and red peppers on pumpernickel
- Grilled veggies and brie on a walnut bread
- Cheddar and apples between multigrain bread
CONTESTS Enter our contests
COMMUNITY Posts Events
PUBLICATIONS Our Magazine Family Resource Directory
LFM BUSINESS NETWORK Learn more
COUPONS Click to save!
E-NEWSLETTER Subscribe to our E-newsletter Un-Subscribe
WRITE FOR US Guidelines & Submissions
POLLS Vote today!
SUGGESTIONS Reader's Survey Suggest a Listing
LFM About Us Our Mission Giving Back Contact Us